Hero buys stake in US superbike company Erik Buell

Posted By: IANS
Subscribe to Oneindia News
New Delhi, July 1: Two-wheeler major Hero MotoCorp has bought 49.2 percent equity in the US-based superbike company Erik Buell Racing (EBR) for $25 million. The remaining share of 50.8 percent would be held by Erik Buell and his wife.

Erik Buell Racing produces street and racing motorcycles.

The first tranche of $15 million was invested by Hero MotoCorp Ltd (HMCL) early on Saturday morning (Indian time), while the remaining amount of $10 million will be invested in the next nine months.

According to Pawan Munjal, the partnership is part of the HMCL's strategy to globalise the Hero brand. The two brands will together promote and sell EBR as well as Hero bikes in African, European and North American markets.

"As we go on spreading our footprint in new international markets, we will look at having extended centres of our own research and design at multiple locations around the world," said Pawan Munjal, managing director and chief executive officer, HMCL.

"This is for the first time that Hero has gone out to buy a company on equity," he added.

Acknowledging the fact that markets like America are dominated by bikes whose engines are much bigger than what Hero offers on their bikes, Munjal said he believed that "smaller engines can be sold in America".

Meanwhile, there will be no organisational changes at EBR and Erik Buell will continue to be its chairman and CEO. However, HMCL will have two directors and one observer on the EBR board.

HMCL and EBR formed an alliance last year, under which the Indian two-wheeler marque receives support in terms of latest technology and design to develop future models.


Please Wait while comments are loading...