New Delhi, June 20: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday appealed to the countrymen to contribute for the cause of those affected by the massive natural disaster in north India and particularly in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand.
He urged the citizens of India to stand with their fellow countrymen in distress.
Singh on Wednesday announced Rs 1,000 crore for the relief and rehabilitation in flood-ravaged Uttarakhand and said that the Centre and the state government would work closely to help rescuing thousands still stranded and missing in the region.
Meanwhile, rescue operations were in full swing in the state with as many as 15,000 people rescued so far. Sources in Indo-Tibetan Border Police said those who were stuck in the temple town of Kedarnath, the world famous pilgrimage, have been rescued. They added that at least 1,000 people were taken to safer areas from Gaurikund.
Although the death toll has been officially told to be 150, reports submitted by the state disaster mitigation and management authorities to the Union home ministry said the figure could run into thousands as nearly 100 dharamshalas (rest houses) were destroyed in the flash floods caused by the incessant rain earlier this week. The town of Kedarnath was completely devastated although the shrine had a miraculous escape.