Sanjay Dutt special: Rules changed in Mumbai jail

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Sanjay Dutt
Mumbai, May 20: Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt seems to have been enjoying celebrity status even after surrendering himself before the TADA court. Soon after his arrival at Arthur Road Jail in Mumbai on Thursday, May 16, certain rules of the prison have been changed.

The 53-year-old actor, who was said to be shifted to Pune's Yerwada Jail, now would stay in the prison in Mumbai for next one month. However, reason(s) behind such change of plan have not been revealed yet.

It was learnt that while under-trials stay at Arthur Road Jail, other convicted criminals are generally shifted to a central prison within Maharashtra.

Earlier it was told that Dutt would be shifted to Pune soon after his medical check-up at the Mumbai prison. Surprisingly, he was not moved out of the Artur Road Jail.

Dutt, before surrendering himself, had appealed to surrender directly at Yerwada jail citing life threat. However, later he had withdrawn his appeal and followed court initial order.

The actor also urged the court to allow him to take home made food citing his deteriorated health condition. Hence, the TADA court permitted him to have home made food inside the prison.

Initially, it was told that Dutt would be lodged in the same cell where Ajmal Kasab had been housed. However, the actor's lawyers and family members opposed the decision claiming that Dutt has been convicted in Arms Act and not in Terror Act.

Dutt was convicted in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case for possessing illegal weapons. Of the total term of five years, Dutt has already served 18 months in jail two decades ago and the Supreme Court, in its order of March 21, asked him to serve another 42 months.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...