New Delhi, May 4: The Election Commission today announced extension of polling time by an hour up to 6 pm in the tomorrow's Karnataka Assembly elections, in view of the weather conditions and excessive heat.
While the EC had earlier fixed the polling time from 7 am to 5 pm, it has now announced that polling will be held from 7 am to 6 pm in the entire state.
"The Commission has now taken into account the prevailing weather conditions in large parts of the state, particularly the extreme heat during the day, and considered it necessary to extend the hours of poll to facilitate the voters to cast their votes even in the late hours."
Accordingly, the Commission has today notified that the hours of poll for the elections in entire state will be 7.00 am to 6.00 pm, i.e. extending it by one hour in the afternoon.
"The Commission expects that its decision will help voters to turnout in large numbers and exercise their franchise," an EC order said.
Prohibition on publication of exit polls has also been extended till 6.30 pm.
"In the light of the above notification, the prohibition period for conducting and publication of exit polls stands automatically extended till 6.30 pm on 5th May 2013, for which a separate notification has also been issued," the EC order said.
The high stake polls for the 223 seats will see Congress seeking to oust Jagadish Shettar-led BJP government.
Documents needed for voting
The Election Commission has directed that the electors who do not have EPIC shall have to produce any one of the following photo documents for establishing their identity before casting their votes:
1. Authenticated photo voters slip.
3. Driving License.
4. Income Tax Identity (PAN) Cards.
5. Service Identity Cards with photograph issued to its employees by State/Central Government, Public Sector/undertakings or Public Limited Companies.
6. Passbooks with photographs issued by Public Sector Banks/Post Office and Kisan Passbook (accounts opened on or before 31-3-2013).
7. Student Identity Card with photograph issued by Recognized Educational Institutions on or before 31-3-2013.
8. Property documents with Photograph such a pattas, Registered Deeds, etc.
9. Ration Card with Photograph issued up to 31-3-2013.
10. SC/ST/OBC Certificates with photograph issued by competent authority on or before 31-3-2013.
11. Pension Document with photograph such as ex-servicemen's Pension Book/Pension Payment Order, ex-servicemen's Widow/Dependent Certificates, Oldage Pension Order, Widow Pension Order with photograph (issued up to 31-3-2013).
12. Freedom Fighter Identity Card with photograph.
13. Arms License with photograph, issued on or before 31-3-2013.
14. Certificate of Physical Handicap with photograph issued by competent authority on or before 31-3-2013.
15. Ex-servicemen CSD Canteen card with photograph.
16. Sandhya Suraksha Scheme Card with photograph issued upto 31-3-2013.
17. Job Card with photograph issued under the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme upto 31-3-2013.
18. Yashaswini Card with photograph issued upto 31-3-2013.
19. The service identity cards with photographs issued by the local bodies namely Municipal Corporation, City Municipal Council, Town Municipal Council, Village Panchayats, etc
20. Senior Citizen Cards bearing photographs of the holder of the card, issued by the Government Department.
21. Health Insurance Scheme smart card, with photograph (Minisrty of Labour Scheme), issued up to 31-3-2013.
22. Smart Cards issued by RGI under the scheme if National Population Register (NPR).
23. Aadhaar Card issued by UIDAI.