Lost a day's wage to bandh: Sue them

Subscribe to Oneindia News
Bandh in Kerala
New Delhi, May 1: Next time a political bandh prevents you to get to work and causes you to lose a day's pay don't despair. You can sue those who have called for the bandh.

That's what a small-scale industrialist from Kalamassery, Kerala did. When the BJP and CPI(M) led Left Democratic Front (LDF) called for a 'hartal' on Septemeber 19, 2011, the petitioner - George John, who runs a unit manufacturing goods for the flooring industry and his employees decided to work. However, activists of the front and BJP didn't allow them to work.

In his petition, he pointed out that he and his employees suffered loss of daily wages and income totalling Rs 3,700.

Though LDF convenor Vaikom Viswan and BJP state president V Muraleedharan were issued summons to appear, they did not turn up before the court. Viswan and Muraleedharan have been asked to pay the amount with 12 percent interest.

A Kerala court has directed leaders of BJP and CPI(M) led Left Democratic Front (LDF) to pay Rs 3,700 as compensation to a small-scale industrialist at nearby Kalamassery, who was prevented from opening his establishment on a strike day in September 2011.

The order in this regard was passed by the Ernakulam Munisiff Court yesterday on John's petition.

In 1998, a three-judge bench, headed by then Chief Justice of India JS Verma, upheld a Kerala High Court ruling banning illegal political bandhs.

The only bandhs recognised are those under industrial law. A bandh should not affect personal and public life and, therefore, should be confined to a place and not the whole state.

So, next time, don't get bogged down by such bandhs and claim your right.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...