New Delhi, April 26: A survey conducted last month which showed that there was a 25 % drop in foreign tourists due to safety concerns was refuted by Tourism Minister K Chiranjeevi.
In a written reply in the Lok Sabha, he stated that the quick random survey done by Assocham Social Development Foundation is incorrect.
According to the survey there has been a 25 per cent in foreign tourist inflow and a decrease of 35 per cent in women foreign tourist inflow in India since December 2012.
The Minister said as per the available data the number of Foreign Tourist Arrivals (FTAs) in India during January, February and March 2013 have registered 2.3 per cent growth over the corresponding period last year. He said there were total 20.27 lakh foreign tourists who visited India during January-March as against 19.81 lakh for the same period last year, registering 2.3 per cent growth.
He said Travel Advisories are issued by various countries from time to time, advising their citizens to avoid travel or to take precautions while travelling to other countries/ certain areas in other countries for various reasons.
OneIndia News (With input from PTI)