Toddler gangraped: Protest in Delhi again; Manmohan ashamed

Posted By:
Subscribe to Oneindia News
PM and Sonia
New Delhi, April 19: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh expressed disappointment with the law and order situation in Delhi where a toddler, a 5-year-old girl has been gangraped. Dr Singh on Friday, April 19 said that the need for society to look deep within and work to root out the evil of rape and other such crimes from our midst.

The PM also criticised the act of Delhi police who seem to have failed to control the situation in the national capital which has witnessed another round of protest on Friday over the recent gangrape incident.

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) summoned senior police officials including Delhi Police Commissioner and asked them to submit a report with details about the incident. Delhi police have been facing stern criticism as an official has been caught on camera slapping a girl who was protesting against the brutality on the toddler.

Meanwhile, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde briefed the incident to Congress President Sonia Gandhi during an emergency meeting of Congress ministers and leaders in Delhi.

Security has been stepped up around AIIMS as public anger grows over the incident. The victim, who earlier was admitted to Dayanand Hospital, has been shifted to AIIMS for further treatment.

Doctors attending the toddler said that her condition is very serious as the victim has sustained severe injuries in her private parts.

"The child's condition is very critical. She is in ICU right now. She will be under observation for the next 24-48 hours. There were foreign objects found inside her and this has resulted in infection," said Dr RK Bansal.

The victim was kidnapped from her home in Gandhi Nagar in East Delhi four days ago. The parents of the minor accused police of ignoring their plea to file an FIR, when they went to report about the case.

"She went out to play two days back when she was kidnapped. The man then locked her up in his room and raped her. I want justice from the government," said the mother of the victim. "When I went to lodge the FIR, the police refused to register it initially.

If they had made a better attempt at locating her, then this situation would not have arrived. The police asked us to be content with the fact that we at least found her alive," said the father. Parents of the girl are demanding justice.

Members of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) staged a protest outside the hospital where the victim is undergoing treatment to demand justice for the family. Police have detained one person in regard to the case. The detained man is reported to be the father of the main accused. However, the accused is absconding. Delhi police claimed that they would arrest the culprit(s) soon.

The nation is yet to recover from the shock over brutal gangrape incident in which a 23-year-old paramedical student was raped by six men and later was thrown out of a moving bus. Now, with another gangrape case proved that no one is secured in the national capital.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...