1993 blast case: Another convict gets extension by 4 weeks

Supreme Court
New Delhi, April 18: Another accused in the 1993 blasts has been granted 4 weeks more to surrender. The Supreme Court on Thursday afternoon granted accused Zaibunissa Kazi a breather of one month.

Zaibunissa was given a month extra on "humanitarian and health grounds", the judges said.

On Wednesday, Kazi had pleaded that the 'court should not send her to jail until the President of the country decides on her clemency petition'. However, this appeal was rejected earlier this week.

On Thursday morning, 3 convicts were granted the same extension by the Supreme Court while Sanjay Dutt was granted the same on Wednesday.

On Thursday, the SC granted the extention to Yusuf Nalwala, Altyaf and Esa Memon. Dutt and the other 3 accused were to surrender today (April 18).

Sanjay Dutt had requested the court to grant him more time to surrender in order to complete his films as huge money has been invested by the producers in these projects. Dutt, 53, was sentenced to five years in jail by the apex court March 21 for illegal arms possession during the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts. He was told to surrender by April 18. The actor has already undergone one-and-half years of imprisonment and, according to the apex court order, he has to undergo the remaining three-and half years of the sentence.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...