Details of President's decision were not available immediately.
President excised his power under Article 72 of the Constitution, which grants President the power to 'grant pardons, etc, and to suspend, remit or commute sentences in certain cases'.
Sources say no more mercy files are pending to be cleared by the President.
The convicts whose mercy petitions were sent to the President in February with recommendations by the Home Ministry were:
- Dharampal from Haryana who had murdered five members of the family of a girl he had raped in 1993.
- Sonia, daughter of a former Haryana MLA and her husband Sanjeev, who drugged and killed eight of her family in Hisar in 2001 including her parents.
- Sunder Singh from Uttarakhand, who was convicted for rape and murder on June 30, 1989.
- Jafar Ali from Uttar Pradesh killed wife and five daughters in 2002.
- Praveen Kumar from Karnataka was convicted for killing four members of a family on February 23, 1994.
- Gurmeet Singh from Uttar Pradesh killed 13 members of a family on August 17, 1986.
- Suresh and Ramji, also from Uttar Pradesh, were convicted for killing five members of their younger brother's family.