Ram Singh commits suicide: Guilt worked, where law failed?

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Protest against Delhi gangrape
New Delhi, March 11: The suicide of Ram Singh, the 33-year-old main accused in the brutal gang-rape and murder of a 23-year-old paramedical student has once again brought into light the tardy and lackadaisical attitude of our law enforcing bodies.

Not only the suicide of Ram Singh within the confines of high security Tihar Jail is questionable, but also why our law enforcing bodies take so much time in punishing the accused? In spite of all the evidences, including "dying declaration" of the victim herself, where she named all the six accused of raping and brutally assaulting her, its been almost three months, and guilty people are yet to be punished.

Ram Singh was said to be suffering from depression. Perhaps, it was his guilt which forced him to commit suicide.

The brother of the Delhi gang-rape victim said he wasn't shocked by Ram Singh's suicide and didn't blame Tihar Jail authorities. "Ram Singh has given himself a punishment. I do not blame the Tihar Jail authorities," he said.

"I think the case has been on the right track. I wanted that the accused should have been punished, may be hanged in public," he added.

Ram Singh said to have hanged himself in jail no. 3 of Tihar Jail, where he was lodged at 5 am on Monday. Now, the dramatic manner in which the accused has committed suicide inside the high-security Tihar Jail raises several questions.

The primary among them is that is the case under jeopardy now? Media reports say that accused Ram Singh was not kept in solitary confinement but was sharing his cell with other inmates.

Then, how did he commit suicide in front of other inmates? Jail sources have confirmed that the main accused have committed suicide. "Ram Singh has committed suicide," said a senior police official of Tihar Jail, confirming the news. Moreover, Ram Singh was under "suicide watch".

On Decemeber 16, 2012, a group of six men brutally gang-raped and assaulted the 23-year-old women inside a moving bus. Later the victim died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...