Bhandara case: Home Minister to rectify statement

Sushilkumar Shinde
New Delhi, March 5: After facing flak on revealing the names of the 3 minor sisters who were raped and murdered in Bhandara, Maharashtra, Union Home Minister Shushilkumar Shinde will be issuing a fresh statement today.

The revised statement will include the progress so far in the case. Last week, the home minister read out the names of the victims, which is in violation with the law soon after question hour in the Rajya Sabha.

Leader of Opposition, Arun Jaitely who pointed out the mistake was quoted saying, "I am sure it is an oversight ... Three minor children are being named in the statement of the home minister. The home minister should withdraw his statement and a fresh one be laid in the House."

Shinde who was unaware of the gaffe said that it was inadvertent and would withdraw the statement. After the incident, the home minister said that he would find out from the MHA officers how the names of the minors got revealed. According to sources, it was a "bureaucratic oversight in withholding the names of the victims".

The three minor sisters, aged 11, 8, and 6 were said to be lured with food by the culprits. The three girls went missing on February 14 from their village Murwadi near Lakhni taluka in Bandara district, 65 kilometres from Nagpur. After remaining missing for two days, the bodies of the girls were found dumped in a well near the village. Preliminary post-mortem report has confirmed that the girls were raped before being murdered.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...