A division bench of the Madras High Court said on Wednesday, Jan 30 that the ban on the movie will stay for the moment. The court asked the Tamil Nadu government to file their reply on the burning issue by Feb 4. The HC will decide on Feb 6 whether the movie should be screened by theatres in the state.
Citing this delay, Kamal Haasan announced that he will seek refuge from the apex court. Earlier he had declared that he would delete some objectionable scenes from his controversial film 'Vishwaroopam'. The actor-director said the issue had been settled amicably.
He was quoted as saying, "I have agreed to remove certain scenes relating to the Holy Quran in Vishwaroopam. I have explored all possibilities with my Muslim brothers. Now it's up to the court to decide. I only request to the government that they maintain law and order is in place, that nothing untoward happens to my Muslim fans."
"I have been given a list of scenes; I don't want it to be marred by someone's confusion. I have agreed for certain cuts. My emotional family has reached out to me, I promise anything for my brothers," he added.
Earlier in the day, petrol bombs were hurled at two theatres in in the Ramanathapuram district, 600 kms from the state capital. According to sources, nobody was hurt. However, glass windows were shattered at the theatres.
Facing tremendous opposition from government side, Kamal Haasan said today: "I think Tamil Nadu wants me out. I will wait for a secular place to live in from Kashmir to Kerala leaving Tamil Nadu."
The complainants in the case had alleged that Vishwaroopam projected a minority community in negative light. Reacting to such complaints, Kamal Haasan said, "There are various reasons given to me as to why this is happening, none of them makes sense to me. The fact is I still need to get any relief."