Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Manish Tewari said Pakistan must respect the rules of engagement and ceasefire agreement. The defence ministry said the action was a provocative one and it expected Pakistan to honour the ceasefire agreement.
In a major attempt to violate ceasefire and infiltrate into the Indian territory, a group of Pakistani soldiers raided across the Line of Control (LoC) in Mendhar Sector on Tuesday and attacked an area domination patrol party of the Indian Army. Two Indian soldiers were killed in the ensuing gunfight and the Pakistani intruders allegedly mutilated the body of one of the jawans who was killed.
Sources in the Indian Army said the intruders took advantage of the thick fog and mist in the forested area to make a move but were spotted by an area domination patrol. A half-an-hour gunbattle followed and the intruders were forced to retreat behind the LoC.
Pakistani military officials, however, denied that the attack had been unprovoked. New Delhi hit back, saying the Indian forces did not violate the ceasefire and tried to infiltrate. It said the sanctity of ceasefire on LoC should be upheld.
Army sources said Pakistani army men tried to violate the ceasefire agreement nearly a dozen times and engaged in gunbattle with the Indian troops in areas like Rajouri, Uri and Keran sectors.