Eyewitness says Tomar was beaten; Delhi Police relieved?

Subscribe to Oneindia News
New Delhi, Dec 27: Controversy over police constable Subhash Chand Tomar's death continues with a latest statement from another eyewitness who claimed that Tomar indeed was beaten by protesters on Dec 23.

Salim, who claims to be an eyewitness of the whole incident when Tomar fell down on the road during the anti-gang-rape protest near India Gate, ignited the entire controversy strengthening Delhi police.

Amid the claims and counter-claims, the eyewitness on Thursday, Dec 26 said, "After the lathicharge, some people threw stones at him and he fell. He was beaten up by about seven or eight men. Some of them were dressed in plain clothes and four-five others wore Aam Admi Party caps. I thought he suffered minor injuries but when he died I felt compelled to come out and talk about it. Yogendra and Pauline came much later so they do not know about the beating."

Yogendra and Pauline, are the two other eyewitnesses who were seen helping Tomar when he collapsed on road and had helped him to rush to a nearby hospital.

Overruling the claims of Delhi police, Yogendra and Pauline said that no protesters had attacked Tomar, instead he had fallen on his own. The latter was quoted as saying, "When the incident happened, the crowd was at least 50 to 60 metres away from the spot where Tomar fell down...there were no injuries to constable Tomar, he was all sweating."

Even the hospital doctors had claimed that there were no external injuries on Tomar's body and he suffered a cardiac arrest. However, postmortem report suggested something different to the police version.

The postmortem report said that he was hit by a blunt object and was injured during the clashes. The anti-rape protest at different parts of Delhi ended with Tomar's death. However, the protesters resumed the protest on Thursday after marching towards India Gate.

The protest began when a 23-year-old paramedical student was raped by six men and later was thrown out of a moving bus on Dec 16. The girl suffered suffered massive internal injuries. Her health fluctuated often since then. Several operations have been performed on her and surgeons have removed her gangrenous small intestine. She has been taken to Singapore for further treatment.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...