Delhi gangrape: 3 accused confess in court, 5th rapist held

Subscribe to Oneindia News

New Delhi, Dec 19: The paramedical student who was raped by six men in a bus here on Dec 16 had initially tried to prevent them from beating up her male friend but the accused were angered by this and assaulted her, according to investigators.

Today, three of the accused made confessional statements before the magistrate. One of them Mukesh Singh was remanded in judicial custody while Pawan Gupta and Vinay Sharma were sent to 4 days' police custody. Mukesh will undergo an identification parade. The fifth accused has reportedly been arrested from Aurangabad in Bihar.

Police officers quoted the bus driver Ram Singh, main accused in the case and brother of Mukesh, as saying that the victim bit his hand. He was under the influence of alcohol at that time. In a fit of rage, Ram Singh attacked not just the victim but her friend too with a rod.

Delhi Rape Bus

The sequence of events:

The duo boarded the bus from Munirka in South Delhi at 9.15 pm on Sunday after Ram Singh and his accomplices offered to take them to Dwarka. However, the men demanded to know from the victim's friend why he was travelling with her late at night.

When he responded to the deliberate taunts, they thrashed him. The victim's attempt to intervene proved costly as the men raped her one by one. The accused then inserted a blunt object into her vagina.

Their brutality can be gauged from the fact that doctors at Safdarjung hospital say they have never come across a patient with such horrific injuries. A part of the victim's intestines had to be surgically removed on Dec 17.

Around 10.15 pm, the accused threw the victim and her friend out of the moving bus near the Mahipalpur flyover after stripping both of their clothes.

Ram Singh also switched off the duo's mobile phones and kept them in his possession. The bus was parked at a garage in RK Puram on Sunday night. The next morning, the accused realised that police were looking for them. Hence, the bus was taken to Rohilla Khurd in Noida and washed to eliminate any evidence of the crime.

Despite these efforts, investigators ascertained that Ram Singh was the key culprit. They asked the owner of the bus to order him to bring the bus back to RK Puram. As soon as he reached the place, the police nabbed him.

During the interrogation, he revealed all the details but showed no remorse. Ram Singh has reportedly been frustrated ever since his wife died in 2010. He has gotten into several fights and once eloped with a girl. He has also been booked for causing an accident.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...