Delhi gangrape on bus: 4 suspects held, victim still in ICU

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Rape
New Delhi, Dec 17: The paramedical student who was gang-raped here last night was thrown out of a school bus, South Delhi Police said today. Deputy Commissioner Chhaya Sharma told newspersons that the 23-year-old victim and her male friend "boarded a chartered-type bus instead of a regular bus" as they were in a hurry to reach Dwarka.

"Once the bus started, the duo had a fight with the people sitting in the bus, following which, the boy and the girl were attacked," the DCP said. When the bus crew started molesting the victim, her friend reportedly protested. However, he was beaten up. The victim was also thrashed and then thrown out of the moving vehicle. Four suspects have been detained in this connection.

CCTV footage of the incident has already been shown on TV channels so that the public can help the Delhi Police identify the luxury bus and its owner.

The victim is still in the Intensive Care Unit of Safdarjung Hospital where she was admitted by the police after they found her and the boy lying injured near Mahipalpur. The latter was discharged from the hospital earlier in the day.

According to hospital authorities, the victim sustained grave injuries in the intestines. The culprits seem to have hit her with a blunt object. She has been placed on ventilator. "The patient is very critical," said the hospital's press information officer SN Makwana.

The victim, student of a Dehradun college, had come to the national capital to do her internship. Her friend is an engineer. He works in a firm here.

The opposition has slammed the Congress government for mishandling the law and order situation. BJP leader Muqhtar Abbas Naqvi noted that similar incidents have been reported in the recent past but neither the Delhi Police nor the Home Ministry did anything to prevent such cases.

"This incident will be replaced with another incident after few days. I believe that Delhi's law and order and security issues are handled carelessly by the government," he said.

Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said that the Transport Department has already cancelled the permit of the luxury bus.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...