Nelson Mandela recovering after gallstone operation

Johannesburg, Dec 16: Former South African President and anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela underwent a successful surgery to remove gallstones and is recovering well, a Presidential spokesperson said today.

"This morning (Saturday) the former president underwent a procedure via endoscopy to have the gallstones removed," President Jacob Zuma's spokesman Mac Maharaj said in a statement.

The 94-year-old leader was hospitalised in Pretoria on Dec 8 for a lung infection. "The procedure was successful and Madiba is recovering. The medical team decided to attend to a lung infection before determining when to attend to the gallstones."

Nelson Mandela

The statement followed a week of speculation about Mandela's health and a silence on his condition from both government and his family. However, there was no indication of when Mandela would return home.

Mandela was admitted to a hospital widely believed to have been 1 Military Hospital, since the military assumes responsibility for the health of heads of state, including retired ones.

Maharaj had earlier said that Mandela was being treated for a recurring lung condition. Mandela had contracted tuberculosis during his 27 years of imprisonment as a political prisoner.

Mandela's latest hospital stay is the second longest of several health scares in recent years after he underwent seven weeks of radiotherapy for prostate cancer in 2011.


Please Wait while comments are loading...