New Delhi, Nov 22: A day after India hanged Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terrorist Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab controversy erupted over government's apathy towards ex-National Security Guard (NSG) commandos, who fought the terrorists during 26/11 Mumbai Terror Attacks.
Activist-turned-politician Arvind Kejriwal accused that government did not pay dues to the NSG commandos, who risked their lives to counter the terrorists on Thursday, Nov 22. At a press conference, Kejriwal presented the case of former NSG commando, Lance Naik Surender Singh, who lost his hearing during 26/11.
However, government refuted the charges and said it had paid Rs 31 lakh in retirement benefits to Surender. The government also said that a war injury pension of Rs 25,000 per month was cleared last week. But Surender denied receiving any funds. Kejriwal said Surender had only got a fraction as the sum was distributed between 11 commandos injured during the operation.
Claiming that the Kejriwal's allegations are false, Congress leader Manish Tewari said that the government has highest respect for people who risk their lives for the country. "Ministry of Defence will be putting a detailed statement later. As I've been given to understand, Surender Singh has been paid Rs 31 lakh. Finer details of compensation will be put up by the MoD," he said.
Kejriwal further slammed the government over Surendra's claims, saying the government is shamelessly misleading the nation. He said on Twitter, "31 lakhs given to 11 injured, not to Surinder Singh. Out of 31 lakhs, surinder got jst 2.5 lakh. Can govt prove that surinder getting Rs 25 thousand per month? If it is not proved, who wud resign in govt for misleading nation? (sic)".
Surender suffered injuries in the 26/11 operations and had to leave the forces. Surender claims he has not got the war injury pension even once over the past 4 years. He also said that the Indian Army denied post-retirement benefits saying he has not completed 15 years of service.