"Let me state very clearly -- and I hope it is obvious -- that the United States government had absolutely nothing to do with this video. We absolutely reject its content and message," Clinton said in her opening remarks during the US-Morocco Strategic Dialogue here.
"To us, to me personally, this video is disgusting and reprehensible. It appears to have a deeply cynical purpose to denigrate a great religion and to provoke rage," Clinton said. Starting with Egypt and Libya, the protests spread to other countries on Friday, including Yemen and Morocco. The situation took a fatal turn earlier this week when US Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens was killed in an attack.
"We are closely watching what is happening in Yemen and elsewhere, and we certainly hope and expect that there will be steps taken to avoid violence and prevent the escalation of protests into violence," she said. At the same time, Clinton said there is no justification, none at all, for responding to this video with violence.
"We condemn the violence that has resulted, in the strongest terms. And we greatly appreciate that many Muslims in the United States and around the world have spoken out on this issue," she said.
She said in today's world of technology, it was impossible to prevent such content from finding its way to viewers. "But even if it were possible, our country does have a long tradition of free expression, which is enshrined in our Constitution and our law. And we do not stop individual citizens from expressing their views, no matter how distasteful they may be," she said.