Madrid, Aug 30: In the first El Clasico of the season, Real Madrid beat Barcelona 2-1 at the Santiago Bernabeu in the second-leg of Spanish Supercopa. Real clinched their first home win against arch-rivals Barca in seven meetings.
Early goals from Gonzalo Higuain (11) and Cristiano Ronaldo (19) put the La Liga champions ahead while Barca left-back Adriano was sent-off early on. Lionel Messi scored a stunning free-kick minutes before the first half but Madrid lifted their first Spanish Supercopa since 2008, thanks to away goals in the first-leg.
EL Clasico: Real Madrid vs Barcelona Match Stats:
- The first El Clasico between Real Madrid and Barcelona (1-3) was played in 1902.
- A total of 221 matches were played between the Spanish rivals with 88 wins for Real Madrid while Barcelona remain at 87 after losing 2-1 in the Spain Supercopa on Wednesday.
- Real goalkeeper Iker Casillas has made 41 appearances in El Clasico, the most by any player in El Clasico history.
- Largest victory in El Clasico was when Real Madrid beat Barcelona 11-1 in 1943.
- Real Madrid have scored a total of 367 goals while Barcelona have netted 359. Out of 221, 46 matches ended in a draw.
- 12 players have been transferred from Real Madrid to Barcelona while 21 moved from Barca to Real.
- Both teams have met only eight times in the UEFA Champions League with three draws, three wins for Real Madrid and 2 wins for the Catalans.
- Real Madrid have the most consecutive wins, 7, between 1962 and 1965.
- Barcelona remained unbeaten in 13 games between 1917 and 1928.
- In 164 La Liga matches, Real have won 69 while Barca claimed 64 wins.