Exodus:North-East people 'attacked', 3 arrested in Bangalore

Subscribe to Oneindia News

North East people waiting for trains in B'lore station
Bangalore, Aug 17: Bangalore police on Friday, Aug 17 arrested three people who allegedly have attacked North-East people. The news surfaced when people from North-East India began leaving most of the metro cities following an alleged threat of attack. [UPDATE: Northeast people indeed assaulted, threatened in Bangalore]

More than 1,150 people are expected to leave the Garden City on Friday. Most of them are waiting for the special trains allocated for them. Earlier on Thursday, government provided special train as more than 17,000 people are reported to have left the city in last three days.

Similar kind of situation has been witnessed in Mumbai, Pune, Chennai, Hyderabad and many other cities. Meanwhile, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa ensured the people about their security while stating, "It has come to my notice that people from the Northeast who are living in Chennai are worried about their safety due to recent happenings in Assam."

"I would like to assure them that they need not have any apprehension on this count. The police are already taking care of their safety. The state of Tamil Nadu has always been peaceful and my government will ensure that people from all parts of India living in Tamil Nadu do not face any difficulty," added the AIADMK supremo.

Karnataka Home Minister R Ashoka also said, "The number of people leaving for the Nothereast has drastically come down. Extra forces have been called in. Six companies of RAF and CRPF have been called in to reassure the people."

Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde in the Parliament said, "Till now there is no information on the source of rumours. The government is taking this very seriously. International hand is also being investigated."

Union Home Ministry on Friday banned bulk SMS and MMS for the next 15 days to prevent spreading of rumours against the North-East people. The government also asked all social media sites to monitor inflammatory posts.

Government's order came following the demand to shut down social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter for a few days as many people believe that those threatening messages have gone viral through social networking sites.

According to the rumours, some group belonging to Muslim community has allegedly threatened North-East people to leave cities or else they may have to face dire consequences. The unidentified group allegedly had given the deadline till Ramadan which will be celebrated on Aug 20.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...