The police also said that no untoward incident had taken place in the city after attacks on students from the North East on Aug 8 and 9. "The voice and the narration in the MMS are clearly altered. Now we have confirmed that this MMS is bogus. People need not panic....The situation in Kondhwa, Pune Camp (where students were attacked) is under control," said Prasad Hasabnis, Senior Police Inspector.
There was no threat to people from the North East, he added.
Police have arrested a few men following the attacks. In Mumbai, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan assured earlier in the day that protection would be given to students from the North East and they need not panic. There were some reports of students fleeing to their home states.
Sunil Kamthan, Station Master, Pune Railway Station, said that Railways had arranged two extra coaches for Howra-bound Azad Hind Express.