Charges of sexually assaulting girl false: Rahul tells SC

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Rahul Gandhi
New Delhi, Jul 7: Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi has told the Supreme Court that allegations of abducting and sexually assaulting an Amethi girl, as have been brought against him by a former Samajwadi Party MLA, were baseless.

Kishore Samrite, the former SP MLA from Madhya Pradesh, had said in a petition filed at the Allahabad High Court that Sukanya Singh, 24, and her parents had gone untraceable since Jan 2007, a couple of weeks after Rahul and some of his 'foreign friends' had allegedly assaulted Sukanya. The SP leader said he had gone to Sukanya's house at Amethi after learning about the reports on the Internet but had found the house locked. He said the local people were not ready to discuss the whereabouts of the family. According to Samrite, the Congress leader had abducted the entire family.

Samrite had filed a habeas corpus petition before the Allahabad court but the latter dismissed his petition in Mar last year besides imposing a fine of Rs 50 lakh for bringing the allegations and even ordered a CBI inquiry against him to find whether it was a deliberate attempt to defame Rahul Gandhi. The investigative agency, consequently, lodged a case against Samrite under Sections 120B, 181, 211 and 499-500 of the IPC.

The SP leader then moved the Supreme Court, which in Apr 2011, had stayed the HC ruling and issued notice to the then Uttar Pradesh government and Rahul Gandhi. Rahul Gandhi then filed a counter-affidavit before the bench saying both allegations of sexually assaulting an Amethi girl and abducting her family were false and malicious. He also appealed to the court to take action against Samrite for trying to defame him.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...