Actor Om Puri's pro-Naxal comment lands him in trouble


Om Puri
Pachmarhi (MP), May 19: Bollywood actor Om Puri has once again grabbed media headlines for the wrong reasons. This time around he has landed in controversy after he called Naxals "fighters not terrorists". He was earlier caught in a controversy for his unflattering comments against the country's parliamentarians.

Om Puri, who is in Pachmarhi, Madhya Pradesh, to shoot a movie, said in a function that naxals were fighters who did not trouble the common man. The 61-year-actor has been courting controversy for the second time around and in his latest comment on Naxals said that the Naxalites had kidnapped Sukma district collector, Alex Paul Menon, because he supported the social system against which they are fighting.

Speaking to reporters on Friday evening, he said, "They (naxals) are not terrorists because they don't resort to irresponsible acts of terror by planting bombs on streets. Naxals are fighters who fight for their rights. They don't harass the common man and the poor."

Puri's earlier comments against the parliamentarians had seen him being slapped with a privilege motion after he called them illiterate and useless. He had made the scathing comments during Anna Hazare's campaign for Jan Lokpal in Aug last year. He had later apologized for the comments he made.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...