Govt to take steps for return of Indians stranded in Angola

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Angola Flag
New Delhi, May 15: The Centre today said it would take all necessary steps for the return of 1,200 Indian workers stranded in Angola.

"The government is taking steps for their return," Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi said in the Rajya Sabha, while replying to the concerned members of the House during the Zero Hour. The workers, employed in a cement factory near Sumbe City in the south-western African nation, were stranded after protesting against the management over non-payment of dues, it is learnt.

"Two days ago I have seen a statement of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi which also says that he has written to the Prime Minister about 40 Indians...As soon as I saw it, we sent a letter to Ambassador of Angola for a detailed report...we will take all steps that need to be taken," Ravi said.

He added that the government would take action as soon as the report comes from the Embassy. He also said that such a situation was not new for the government and had earlier also brought Indians back from various Africa nations in the past, even by paying money.

Earlier, Parshottam Khodabhai Rupala of the BJP said 1,200 Indians were held hostage in Angola after they had gone on a month-long strike demanding their due wages. "Their passports have been seized...they are wandering in forest without any food and battling for their life...their family members are crying ...media is reporting the matter for 15 days but the government is silent on this sensitive matter," he said demanding a statement from the Minister.

PTI

Please Wait while comments are loading...