Court shut after black coats riot in Bangalore streets

Subscribe to Oneindia News
Karnataka lawyers protest
Bangalore, Mar 3: After a mini-riot of sorts played out on Bangalore street after lawyers went on a rampage with mediapersons in the city, there are reports of the Bangalore Civil court being shut down following the violent spat. The scene on Friday saw an army of black coats (lawyers) attacking media men pelting stones at gathered media men and barring them from entering the court premises.

Karnataka CM Sadananada Gowda after a high-level meeting with representatives of police, media and Law Ministry and Home Dept officials said that strict action will be taken against the perpetrators. The Congress party in the state is expected to hold a protest on Saturday, while members of the Press Club will hold a rally condemning the incident.

The Karnataka DGP reiterated that law will take its own course without favouring anybody. He said, "It is an unfortunate incident. Lawyers are also a part of the criminal justice system, they should have behaved responsibly. Whatever incidents have taken place have already been controlled, peace has been restored, we have registered criminal cases, we will identify the culprits and we will take action."

On the free hand the lawyers are using to unleash violence in the city, the DGP commented, "The law of the country is very clear, except the President of India, the Governor of the state, anybody can be prosecuted and criminal proceedings can be launched. No profession, no individual is above the law. Whoever has violated law will be dealt with according to law."

Many media persons and police officials were injured in the melee and massive damage to court and public property were made. As many as 20 vehicles were set ablaze as well as OB vans. There was a large contingent of media members who was present to cover the illegal mining case involving mining baron Gali Janardhana Reddy.

The lawyers were caught on camera hurling stones and furniture on the people gathered. The police had to tear gas to dispel the angry mob with officials slapping prohibitory orders on Friday and Saturday.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...