Court hears arguments on NIA charge sheet against Headley

Subscribe to Oneindia News

David Headley
New Delhi, Jan 21: A Delhi court on Saturday heard arguments on taking cognisance of the charge sheet filed by NIA against Pakistani-American David Headley and eight others for planning and executing terror strikes in India, including the 26/11 Mumbai attack.

The arguments remained inconclusive and further arguments would now be heard on February 4.

“Arguments on the question of taking cognisance had been advanced at length by the NIA… Arguments remained inconclusive. Put up for February 4 for further hearing,” Special NIA judge H S Sharma said.

The judge said he was giving the date so that he can peruse the documents provided by the prosecution (NIA) before hearing further arguments.

During the arguments, Special Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan said, “The target of HuJI, LeT and officials of Pakistani Army (who are accused in the case) were Indians and tourists. Their target was tourist places like Goa and Bombay where they had done recce several times.” He further said that Headley’s role in the terror strikes has been detailed in the charge sheet.

The NIA had on December 24 last year filed charge sheet against 51-year-old Headley, his Pakistani-Canadian accomplice Tahawwur Rana and founder of Lashker-e-Taiba terror group Hafiz Saeed.

Besides them, two serving Pakistani Army officials — Major Iqbal and Major Sameer Ali — believed to be working for ISI, were also named in the charge sheet filed before the court.

PTI

Please Wait while comments are loading...