Mumbai: Short Circuit caused major fire at Crawford Market

Written by: Ria
Subscribe to Oneindia News
Mumbai, Nov 28: After the preliminary investigations over the major fire, which broke out at Crawford Market area in Mumbai, it has been revealed that the short circuit caused the blaze. The incident destroyed more than 2,000 shops.

“From our initial investigation, it looks like a case of short-circuit. The fire broke out at the Sara-Sahara compound and spread to other areas," said a senior fire officer.

“Sara-Sahara Market houses many mobile shops. Mobile batteries and combustible substances like perfumes stored in this area led to spread of the fire to Manish Market and neighbouring areas.

"The flying mobile batteries landed on Manish Market side that had tarpaulin covers on the roof top. That"s how the fire spread," said the officer. The area had some illegal shops which sell highly combustible goods including lighters, perfumes and electronic equipment.

The fire broke out at around 3.40 am and spread to the adjoining Manish Market, Mohta Market and the neighbouring areas. The fire brigade informed that if batteries caught fire, it moved upwards in the air. Read more Major fire breaks out in Crawford market area in Mumbai

The fire officials were busy in their cooling operations till Sunday evening. “Once the cooling operation finishes today, we will start with investigation. It will take at least four days to complete the investigation," said another senior officer.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...