The incident took place at 9.40am on Thursday, when Dong went to drove her children to school. The fire was reported by the supervisor of the residential complex. "We entered the flat with the help of a rope from the ninth floor and made our way into the house. It took about 25 minutes to douse the fire," said Ramesh Gangad, assistant station duty officer. He said that the flat was empty.
A short circuit in the air-conditioner is suspected to be the cause, said Gangad adding that since the flat was locked, they had to break into it, which consumed a lot of time.
Romit, a software professional of a private company said that the couple would take ages to overcome the loss. We don't know how it happened. Almost 40-60 paintings were completely destroyed in the fire along with the furniture, he said.
Rajesh Mishra, the security supervisor at the complex said he first noticed the windowpanes crashing down from one of the flats and there was smoke at the top floors. It was difficult to ascertain the flat from where the smoke was coming, he added.