It was thought to be a short circuit as commuters could smell rubber burning but the 'emergency' signs that flashed inside the coaches left people worried.
The spokesperson, BMRCL chief was cluless on what could have led to the sudden halt and said that the reason could be a firecracker.
An inquiry into the whole incident has been ordered by the Commissioner of Railway Safety (CRS)
"The train suddenly stopped and we didn't know what had happened. The message screen began flashing the emergency sign and said there was some technical issue, due which the train had to be stopped," said Sheena who came for her first metro ride along with her friends.
"We thought that there was some sort of short-circuit on the track as there was a strong smell of burning rubber, which seemed to be coming from the electrical cables. We were all stuck on the rails for over five minutes, but service resumed shortly after," she added.
The incident took place in the night at around 9.30 pm. The Metro officials failed to reply to the queries posed by passengers.
"Diwali has just got over and I think a fire cracker might have landed on the track, but we are not sure. However, it was just a minor technical glitch," said B L Yashwanth Chavan, chief spokesperson, BMRCL.
"I will report the matter to the new Bangalore Metro CRS S K Mittal and we will get all the details as to what really happened and take action accordingly," said DK Singh CRS for South Central Railways after the incidence was brought to his notice.