The Chief Minister, in a open letter addressed to the fellow countrymen, requested the citizens of the nation for their blessings and good wishes to start his fast, which he said aimed at peace, harmony and brotherhood.
Highlights on Modi's speech:
- Gujarat's development is being discussed across the India and world. After the Gujarat earthquakes, people started to feel that Gujarat will never grow again. But Gujarat has bounced back and is a developed state.
- After the riots in 2002 riots, no one was willing to listen to our pain. He has been sharing the sufferings of the riot victims since years. I have been sharing the sufferings of the riots victims since years.
- Gujarat has come together for the development. When Akshardham was attacked, the whole country believed that Gujarat will be divided. We gave an example of peace, harmony after the Akshardham attack.
- I want to tell the world we want to move forward, contribute to India's growth story. Gujarat should progress so that it its able to help other backward states in India. People from all over India come to Gujarat to earn a livelihood today.
- My three-day fast is not against anyone. Sadbhavna mission will end vote-bank politics. I have always served my country and state and will continue to do so.
- I never celebrate my birthday. This fast has nothing to do with my birthday. Through my fast, I want to reach out to more people.
BJP senior leader, LK Advani, supporting and praising Modi said that Gujarat has a good administration and there is zero tolerance towards corruption and terrorism.The BJP stalwart's 72-hour fast under "Sadbhavna Mission'' coincides with his 62nd birthday. The venue, Gujarat University Convention Centre here - where a host of leaders from the BJP and its key ally Shiromani Akali Dal have arrived - has been put under strict vigil by the police.
BJP leaders like L K Advani, Arun Jaitely, Smriti Irani and Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh Prem Kumar Dhumal, among others, were present when Modi began his fast. Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, whose party Shiromani Akali Dal is a key member of the BJP-led NDA, was also present.