Maha govt faces challenge to prevent another terror attack

Prithviraj Chavan
Mumbai, Jul 18: The bloody evening of 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks repeated the nightmare of Mumbaikars once again on Wednesday, 13 when terrorists struck the financial capital in a serial blast. This has left the Chavan government in deep trouble and worries over the probability of a further attack. Leaving all issues apart, with the Maha government's immediate challenge to prevent another terror strike and also tackle the crisis of credibility in investigation and conviction in the ongoing blast cases, the government is focusing on upgrading intelligence, communications and police training.

The disastrous evening in the dream city had once again hit the common lives of Mumbaikars on Wednesday leaving destruction and panic all around. Horrific scenes of death and destruction captured on mobile telephones showed victims dead, dying and crying out in pain in the three sites under attack: Opera House, Zaveri Bazar and Dadar West.

Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said that as a priority, communications would be upgraded all over the State at four levels. The wireless systems in police control rooms would be digitised and upgraded. Satellite phones, improved wireless systems and radio networks and CCTVs would be procured soon. CCTVs would be installed at major junctions and red tape in purchases would be cut. The government had accepted that there was a failure in buying the CCTV systems and it would expedite equipment purchase.

Chavan on Monday, Jul 18 would see two presentations on CCTVs. He also agreed that electronic intelligence had to be upgraded to international standards. He agreed that high-level training in intelligence gathering and policing and attracting the best people in areas of specialisation like tackling cybercrime were imperative. The government also needed to discuss security issues more often and in depth.

Chavan also pointed out the differences between the 26/11 terrors attacks with that of 13/7 that shook the town. The bombs that went off on Wednesday evening had been placed in bins and on a scooter, and they contained the easily accessible ammonium nitrate. He said he would read once again the report of the Ram Pradhan committee, which went into the 26/11 attack, and see what remained to be implemented.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...