Chelsea to get a successor to Carlo Ancelloti soon: Gourlay

Chelsea football club logo
London, Jun 16: Ron Gourlay, the chief executive officer of English football club Chelsea, has firmly stated that a successor to Carlo Ancelotti, will be finalised in the next two weeks or even sooner.

It can be recalled that Ancelloti, after a trophyless season in 201-11 was fired from his position as the manager of Chelsea. Meanwhile, there are talks of Guus Hiddink, taking over from Ancelloti.

Gourlay, was quoted by The Mirror as saying, "I said on Tuesday that we would look to have a new coach in place maybe within the week to two weeks. If that happens sooner then I"d be absolutely delighted and we are certainly working to a week to two weeks but it could be sooner."

He added, "Our target is very much to be back competing. Last year was a difficult year for us. We came off the back of a very successful year winning the double, the most successful year we"ve had ever as a football club."

Ancelloti, parted ways with the club after a trophyless second season. Interestingly, his first season was an extremely eventful one during which he guided them to their best ever season by winning a Premier League and FA Cup double.

Gourlay obviously remembers that. He said, "That brings a lot of challenges for the football club and the expectations are very high and it's fair to say our performances and results didn't meet the expectations of the football club. All that is history now and we will move on. We expect to be competing for all major trophies next season, that's our goal."

Stating clearly the immediate objectives of the club, he said, "We will strengthen the side if the correct players become available that allow us to strengthen our side but the basis of the team will be very much the same as we have in place today."

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...