5000 additional forces for joint operation in Naxal belt

Subscribe to Oneindia News

P Chidambaram
New Delhi, Jun 15: The Centre has commanded an additional security of 5,000 personnels for anti-Naxal operations in Orissa and Chhattisgarh border areas. Home minister P Chidambaram on Tuesday met chief minister of Orissa Naveen Patnaik and Chhattisgarh CM Raman Singh to review the anti-Naxal operations.

Chidambaram clarified that the Central forces will not carry out any operations without the complements of states police. Raman Singh said,"Central forces cannot do it alone. State police has to be there. It is not right to say that the casualties are only from paramilitary forces. Whoever comes under fire, they face the casualty. So, joint operation has to be there."

Singh also added that Chhattisgarh had 4,000 km borders with Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Orissa hence, it was next to impossible to check maoists movement in these areas. Singh confirmed that the cant be fully stopped.

Chidambaram further said ,"Up to June 14, there have been 811 incidents (1,025 last year) resulting in 270 deaths (473 last year). Of the 270 persons who were killed, 190 were civilians (296 last year) and 80 personnel of the security forces (177 last year)".

According to a statistics, there were 125 encounters between security forces and extremists and 78 ultras were killed. Besides, 883 extremists were arrested, 243 surrendered and 315 arms were recovered this year.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...