Herat, June 13: Thirty-two Taliban militants have been killed and 25 wounded in the last 24 hours, during an operation in the western Afghanistan province of Badghis, the Afghan army said on Sunday, June 12.
"The operation was intensified last night and since then there are over 57 Taliban fighters killed, wounded and captured," army commander General Shahzada -- who goes by one name -- said.
"Unfortunately, four Afghan army soldiers have been killed and 3 others were wounded during the operation since last night".
There are around 130,000 Nato-led international troops fighting the near decade-long Taliban insurgency.
A limited withdrawal of foreign troops is expected to begin in July, ahead of a planned transition of responsibility to Afghan security forces due to be completed by end of 2014.