The list pf 18 account-holders in LGT Bank are as follows (The list provided to The Indian Express):
• Arun Kochar, Delhi; investment banker, now residing in the US
• Late KM Mammen Mappillai, Chennai (former CMD of MRF)
• Harshad Ramniklal Mehta, Mumbai, chairman Rosy Blue (diamond merchant)
• Arun Ramniklal Mehta, Mumbai, co-founder, Rosy Blue
• Manoj Kumar Dhupelia, Kolkata; stock broker; his wife Rupal Dhupelia,; son Mohan Manoj Dhupelia; Ambrish Dhupelia and Bhavya Manoj Dhupelia of Mumbai, unspecified relatives of MK Dhupelia.
• Hasmukh Gandhi, Mumbai, MD of Millennium Herbal Care Ltd; his wife Madhu Hasmukh Gandhi; son Chintan Gandhi; late son Nirav Gandhi.
• Chandrakant Gandhi, Kolkata, CMD of Dolphin Laboratories; his wife Dhanlaxmi Gandhi; their sons Rajesh Gandhi and Viraj Gandhi.
• Ashok Jaipuria, Delhi, chairman of Cosmo Ferrites
These indians includes businessmen in Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi and Chennai alongwith their family members. A copy of the list that is presently with the Enforcement Directorate will be sent to the CBI as the Supreme Court has said that either the National Intelligence Agency or the CBI should go after sources of these deposits rather than just rely on the Income-Tax Department for unearthing alleged income concealment and tax evasion.
The total tax penalty is around Rs 24.27 crore and recoveries have already begun from 17 of the 18 named. It would be investigated that whether the LGT deposits were involved with any alleged money laundering or the money parked in foreign proceeds from terrorist activities, drug peddling, smuggling, arms dealing sort of activities that are against national security.
The list was first surfaced in 2008 when a former LGT employee gave details of 1400 account holders to German tax authorities who launched a probe.