Qatar 2022 WC bid team calls bribe allegations untrue

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Preparations for World Cup in Qatar
Doha, May 24: Qatar's 2022 FIFA World cup bid team has rubbished allegations that it paid millions of dollars in bribe to secure the rights to host the gala event as "completely false" and based on “worthless" evidence.

In a statement issued on May 23, the bid team said the evidence was “wholly unsupported" by any concrete evidence.

The statement said, “These individuals… do not state when the alleged bribes were to be paid, how the negotiations with the individuals concerned had been conducted or crucially how they came to know of the alleged bribes. On any proper view, their evidence is worthless."

The statement also said that the allegations were made by an “embittered ex-employee… plainly with a significant axe to grind".

Welcoming a thorough investigation in to the allegations the bid committee has said, “What is concerning and unfair is that there appear to be those who are unable to accept that a team from a country like Qatar could perform in this way and are ready - on the basis of no evidence - to assume the worst."

It can be recalled that in December 2010, Qatar surprisingly won the hosting rights after being preferred over bids from the US, Australia, Japan and South Korea.

FIFA is to convene a meeting with the whistle-blower who in an interview with UK's the Sunday Times had alleged that Qatar paid FIFA members Issa Hayatou and Jacques Anouma $1.5 million each to secure their vote.

Both the men have denied the claims by the anonymous whistle-blower.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...