2G case: Karuna anguished over inclusion of Kanimozhi's name

Chennai, Apr 27: DMK did not not walk out of the UPA alliance at the Centre today over the 2G issue and decided to fight the case legally.

After a meeting of the party's High-Level Committee, DMK President and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister expressed ''anguish'' over inclusion Kanimozhi's name in the second charge sheet in the spectrum allocation case by CBI and said they would fight the issue legally to prove the their innocence of his daughter and the party in court.

''We will take legal steps to prove the truth'', he told reporters.

Ever since the supplementary charge sheeting naming Kanimozhi as an accused was filed in a Delhi court on Monday, there has been speculation that DMK might adopt a hard line and could even think of quitting the Central ministry.

Asked whether Kanimozhi would appear before a CBI court at Delhi on May 6, where she had been summoned, he replied in the affirmative.

''She is not Jayalalithaa to ignore the court summons'', he said in a reference to the AIADMK leader seeking exemption from personal appearance in the disproportionate wealth case against her in a Bangalore court.

Asked whether Kanimozhi and Kalaignar TV CEO Sarath Kumar, who had also been summoned, would seek anticipatory bail, Karunanidhi said the lawyers would decide about it.

To a query, Karunanidhi said the party did not face any embarrassment on the issue.

The meeting adopted a resolution blaming some parties to create lack of confidence among UPA allies and to break the alliance.

It said the 2G case was being used to defame the DMK which would seek legal recourse. It also expressed surprise over inclusion of Kanimozhi's name in the supplementary charge sheet.


Please Wait while comments are loading...