Unlike Google's Instant, which launched on Sep 2010, Yahoo said that the new Search Direct offers the results in a new window just below the search box and it uses a separate algorithm. That means the result showed in the Yahoo Search Direct will be different from company's main web search index!
Yahoo claimed that the Search Direct offers answers not web links and it has the ability to detect queries related to movies, television, local information, and trending news topics. Search Direct predicts search results as fast as a person types, character by character, and presents those results dynamically, generating a fast, simple search experience that goes beyond a list of blue links.
"With Search Direct, Yahoo content is combined with information from the Web to provide rich answers, not just links, and to give people the option to immediately engage or continue to a traditional search results page. In this beta release, coverage includes top trending searches, movies, TV, sports teams and players, weather, local, travel, stocks, and shopping categories now available at search.yahoo.com," Yahoo said in its blog.
During the launch, Yahoo senior vice president of search and marketplaces, Shashi Seth said that Yahoo is redefining the search process and prominently displaying direct answers where search decisions are being made. He added that the new Search Direct was evidence of Yahoo continuing to lead innovation in search, enabling people to take action faster, find what is most important, and sample what is possible with the next stage of search technology.
New Features on Yahoo Search Direct:
* Trending Searches – The moment the cursor hits the search box, top search trends appear and are updated every 10 minutes to display the latest and greatest search trends.
* Search Previews – Search Direct predicts the search term as you type, providing the 10 most likely searches. You can then easily scan each option to see the related top results and find the best match for your needs.
* Direct Answers – For many common searches, Search Direct provides instant answers before you click the Search button. Find an address or phone number, a three-day weather forecast, financial stock performance, the top trending stories at Yahoo! News, or when and where a movie is playing – all without going to a results page.
* Direct Results – When you scan the search options and find the site you need, Search Direct provides exactly that – direct access to the site. No more overwhelming pages of links.
* Rich Content – For all top searches about sports, top news stories, and finance, Search Direct displays rich content that only the world"s largest digital media company can provide. For example, type “n" to get the Yahoo! News display, which always shows the top two trending stories.
Yahoo said that the new Search Direct feature is still in beta version but it will be available live in United States. This feature will be extended to other parts of the world and get updated to Yahoos' other services in coming months. Also, it will be extended to smartphones and tablets soon.