During the iPad 2 launch event, attacking Google Android running devices, Apple co-founder and CEO, Steve Jobs said that the "2010 - the year of tablets and 2011 - the year of copycats." He hinted that the Motorola Xoom is an copy of the real iPad and people can easily understand the difference between original and copycats. Any how, it's the masses to decide which would be better.
Earlier, we reported the comparison between the first generation iPad and the Xoom tablet. With more advanced features and bigger screen, Xoom bagged an upper hand in most of the reviews. But, while we compare 'Thinner, Lighter and Faster' iPad 2 with Xoom, the fight turned to be more aggressive as the Apple boasted most of the features that are not available on iPad.
Apple iPad 2 Vs Motorola Xoom:
1) Screen - Despite of all rumors and leaks, Apple kept the same screen size, which is available on first generation iPasd, for the new iPad 2. It has a 9.7-inch LED-backlit LCD screen with 1024x768 pixel resolution. But, Motorola Xoom has a 10.1-inch dispaly with a resolution of 1280×800 pixels and a 160 dpi pixel density. The wide screen of Xoom will provide more multimedia entertainment.
2) Operating System - The Apple iPad 2 will run on a brand new Apple operating Sytem, iOS 4.3 which offers offers AirPlay, iTunes Home Sharing, faster Safari web browser, Personal Hotspot etc. The Motorola Xoom is powered with Google's tablet only OS, Android 3.0 Honeycomb.
3) Style & Design - Apple iPad 2 is believed to be 33 per cent thinner and 15 per cent lighter frame than the original. Its sleek design and attractive case make it more handy and portable. iPad 2 has the following dimensions - 9.50 inches (241.2 mm), Width: 7.31 inches (185.7 mm), Depth: 0.34 inch (8.8 mm). Whereas, the Motorola Xoom focused more on its bigger screen and sexy look. The dimensions on this device are 9.80-inches (249 mm), Width: 6.61 inches (167.8 mm), Depth: 0.51 inches (12.9 mm) and the weight is around 730 g.
4) Processor & RAM - Along with the iPad 2 launch, Apple unveiled the dual core A5 processor. iPad 2 will be powered with 1GHz Apple A5 Dual Core Processor and aimed to offer 9 times faster speed than first version iPad. Apple has not yet revealed the RAM power of iPad 2. At the same time, Motorola Xoom has a a Nvidia Tegra 2 dual core processor and an extra large 1GB RAM.
5) Camera - One of the important feature that is not available on iPad is the camera. Understanding the urge for cameras on iPad, Apple added two cameras on iPad 2. It has a VGA front-facing camera with Facetime and support. Also iPad 2 boasts a rear-facing camera which is capable of recording HD 720p video. The Motorola Xoom brings dual cameras, 5 MP rear-facing camera with dual LED flash and a 2 MP front-facing camera for video chatting.
6) Memory and SD card support - On the second generation iPad also Apple stick with their limited capacity of memory. Apple iPad 2 will be available in 16 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB models. Even though the Xoom has only 32 GB internal hard disc capacity, its 32 GB SD card support makes it a total of 64 GB.
7) Applications - Apple has a strong dedicated fan base mainly because of its whopping number of apps. Apple iPad 2 users can download or purchase more than 65,000 apps through the App store. Motorola Xoom provides access to Android Market, but it has relatively less number of apps.
8) Flash support - Apple once again showed the back face to Adobe Flash, which is considered as one of the important element for smooth web browsing. Ipad 2 doesn't support Adobe Flash, whereas Xoom gives Flash support.
9) Battery - Apple claimed that the A5 processor and thinner and lighter design of iPad 2 will help it to deliver upto 10 hours of battery life. Motorola also delivers 10 hours battery time and 24 hours of standby time.
10) Pricing & Availability - Apple iPad 2 will cost a bit $100 more than the previous version. The basic price of iPad 2 starts $499 onwards. The Wi-Fi models 16 GB has $499, 32 GB has $599 and the 64 GB will cost $699. The 16 GB Wi-Fi + 3G iPad 2 has $629, $729 for 32 GB and $829 for 64 GB model. The price of Motorola Xoom starts $599 onwards. Verizon sells Wi-Fi Xoom for $699 and Wi-Fi + 3G will cost $799. Apple iPad 2 will hit stores in United States by Mar 11 and in more than 25 European countries by Mar 25. Motorola Xoom is available in different market.