Melbourne, Feb 27 (ANI): About 4,000 people responded to an open house party invitation in South Brisbane after a teenager's Facebook account was hacked, prompting police to issue a warning about social network security.
Queensland Police are investigating the incident after being alerted via Twitter and have contacted the family who said they were not holding a party this weekend and were unaware their teenage son's Facebook site had been tampered with, reports the Age.
The boy's father said it was a warning for all parents and teenagers who use social media.
He said his son panicked and told him his Facebook site had been hacked when the number of people saying they were coming to the party started to climb, eventually reaching around 4,000.
"The first thing I thought of was, 'how am I going to be able to control this', because the numbers of people coming just kept climbing, it was crazy," the father said in a statement.
"I told my son that he better tell everyone that the party wasn't happening and no-one was coming in the front gate," he said.
"This is a real eye-opener for us. We immediately posted online that the party has been cancelled and the account had been hacked," he added.
Police said they would be on hand to ensure would-be partygoers did not disturb the people living at the address. (ANI)