Mobile phones to be allowed inside Wankhede for WC matches

Mumbai, Feb 25 (PTI) Mumbai police, who were consideringbanning mobile phones inside the stadium during the three ICCWorld Cup fixtures in the city, have given up the idea,realising it won''t be feasible.

Wankhede stadium here will host the matches, and policehad security-related apprehensions about allowing cell-phones.

But Police Commissioner Sanjeev Dayal today said itwas not feasible to impose a ban on mobile phones.

"We are taking all precautionary measures to preventany sort of untoward incident, keeping threat perception inmind. Not allowing spectators to carry cell-phones is notfeasible as it is very difficult to collect, store handsetsand return to the spectators safely later, at the ground whichhas a sitting capacity of 32,000," Dayal said.

The proposal to ban mobile phones in the stadium hadcome up during the meetings held between city police and thematch organisers.

Additional Police Commissioner (Protection and Security)Madhukar Pandey had earlier said that there was "a possibilityof not allowing the spectators to carry mobiles phones".

New Zealand would play against Canada and Sri Lanka atWankhede on March 13 and 18 respectively. The stadium willalso host the final on April 2. .

Please Wait while comments are loading...