Mumbai, Feb 21 (ANI): Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan expressing his unhappiness over the acquittal of two Indian accused by the Bombay High Court in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks case, on Monday said his government will file an appeal against the judgment in the Supreme Court.
The Bombay High Court earlier today confirmed the death penalty to 26/11 terrorist Ajmal Kasab, terming the case as rarest of rare and holding there was 'no scope of reform' of the convict."It signifies the triumph of the Indian judicial system, Indian democracy that we could conduct a free and fair trial in this highly emotive case," said Chavan, while terming as 'historic' the upholding of the death sentence of Kasab by the court.
The court, however, dismissed the Maharashtra Government's petition against the acquittal of two Indians Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed, accused of aiding the commission of the crime.
"We are with the trial court's observation that there is no corroboration of evidence to prove involvement of Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed in the case," the judgement said.
"We are unhappy that our appeal against the two accused persons was not upheld by the High Court. I have discussed the matter with government pleader Ujjwal Nikam and the government will appeal against the acquittal of the two accused persons in the Supreme Court," said Chavan.
The Maharashtra Government had earlier challenged the acquittal of both Indian accused in the high court.
Further making an appeal to the Centre to bring all international pressure on Pakistan to unearth the Mumbai attacks conspiracy and bring the guilty to book, Chavan said: "We are very unhappy that while India has gone ahead and conducted the trial in a very transparent manner, the trial has not even begun in Pakistan."
"I appeal to the Union Government to bring all the international pressure on Pakistan to unearth the conspiracy, bring the guilty to book and punish the guilty," he added.
The Chief Minister also complimented Government Counsel Ujjwal Nikam for having concluded the 26/11 case in the High Court in a period of less than three months.
A Mumbai Special Court on May 6, 2010, sentenced Kasab to death on four counts.udge M L Tahaliyani awarded the death sentence for Kasab on-waging war against India, murder, conspiracy to murder, and participating in an act of terror under Unlawful Activity Prevention Act (UAPA). asab, who is the 52nd prisoner on death row in India, was also awarded a life term on five other counts.It maybe recalled that ten gunmen from Pakistan arrived in Mumbai via sea route on November 26, 2008 and started firing indiscriminately at a busy railway station, a Jewish settlement, a popular café and two luxury hotels.
Several innocents were held hostage over the next three days and at least 166 people were killed before Indian commandos smoked out the terrorists on November 28, 2008. (ANI)