The new tablet has been showcased at a time when rumours regarding the second generation Apple iPad are ripe. Apple's iPad continues to control the market with more than 70 percent market share. According to rumour mills, the iPad 2 will be launched soon. Certain media reports have also alleged that the iPad 3 is slated for a Fall launch.
Apple iPad 2 rumors are still doing the rounds and Apple has not yet revealed any details of its specs and release date. In any case, the heat in the tablet market is around the Motorola Xoom tablet, which is expected to the hit the market by Feb 24. There would be a direct competition between Motorola Xoom and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 as both these tablets bear resemblance to each others specifications and features.
It's not appropriate to analyse the features between Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Apple iPad as the later lacks many advanced features and also we can't just assume the features of iPad 2 which is still in 'rumour stage.' The real war kickoffs between Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Motorola Xoom. Here is the comparison of specifications and features available on both tablets.
Motorola Xoom Vs Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
1) Display - Motorola Xoom has a 10.1-inch dispaly with a resolution of 1280×800 pixels and a 160 dots per inch (dpi) pixel density. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 offers a 10.1-inch, 1280 x 800px, LCD display screen. Both these tablets have a bigger display screen than Apple iPad's 9.7-inch screen.2) Operating System - Both the Motorola Xoom and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 operate on the 'tablet only' Google Android 3.0 Honeycomb OS that offers better 3D UI and attractive widgets.
3) Processor and RAM - Motorola Xoom offers NVIDIA Tegra 2, 1GHz dual-core CPU and a 1GB RAM. Similarly, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 offers NVIDIA Tegra 2, 1GHz dual-core CPU. However, the RAM capacity is yet to be announced. Surely, we can expect 1GB or more RAM on Galaxy Tab 2.
4) Camera - Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 defeats Motorola Xoom with its camera specs. Samsung's tablet offers an eight megapixel (MP) camera at rear with HD 1080p video recording capacity and also offers a two MP camera at front for video calling. Unfortunately, Motorola Xoom gives only a five MP camera with 720p HD recording, but a similar two MP camera at front.5) Memory and SD card - Motorola Xoom has got an upper hand in the storage capacity section. It provides 32 GB in-built memory with 32 GB memory card extention. Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 will be available in two variants, 16 GB and 32 GB. However, no it will not feature any support for memory expansion. However, it is expected to undergo a firmware update soon.
6) Dimensions - Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 will be favourable for those who are seeking a lighter tablet. Its dimensions are 246.2 x 170.4 x 10.9mm and it weighs 599g. Motorola Xoom on the other hand has dimensions equivalent to 249.1 x 167.8 x 12.9mm and weighs 730g, 100g more than the former.
7) Connectivity - Motorola Xoom is better that its rival, the Galaxy Tab, in terms of its 4G capability. It has 3G/4G, Wi-Fi, USB, HDMI-out and Bluetooth as compared to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, which features HSDPA+, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and USB.
8) Battery - Motorola claimed that Xoom will offer battery power of up to 10 hours video playback. Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 offers 6860mAh battery and its playback capacity is not yet revealed.
9) Price & Availability - According to rumors, Motorola Xoom will hit the market on Feb 24 with a price tag of $799. Samsung is yet to announce the relaese date and price of the Galaxy Tab 10.1. It is expected that it will be launched in the Asian and European markets by Mar 2011.
With the above comparison, we cannot clearly determine who the winner is. However, one thing is obvious, the real winners are the 'Gadget Lovers' who have a vast selection to chose from. These two Honeycomb tablets usher in a tablet revolution that may kick Apple's iPad out of the market or will set the stage for the launch of the iPad 2. Stay tuned for more updates.