Hussey admits he may miss first two World Cup matches

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Perth, Feb 6 (PTI) Injured Australian batsman Mike Husseyis hopeful that he will make the bus for the World Cup butadmitted that he will have to miss the side''s opening twomatches in the mega event starting February 19.

Hussey will find out on Tuesday if he is fit enough toremain in Australia''s 15-man World Cup squad after undergoinghamstring surgery last month.

"I have 48 hours until I find out whether I''ll be flyingout with the Australian team for World Cup. The boys fly outon Wednesday and I''m eager to be there with them. I''mconfident I''ll be on that plane," Hussey wrote in a column forPerth''s ''Sunday Times''.

"I will have a test on my hamstring in Melbournetomorrow, with a final decision made on Tuesday. Looking atthe World Cup schedule, I believe I''ve got plenty of time tomake sure I''m 100 per cent fit; perhaps not for the first orsecond game; but for third match against Sri Lanka on March5," he said.

Australia play Zimbabwe on February 21 in Ahmedabad andNew Zealand on February 25 in Nagpur in their first twomatches before taking on Sri Lanka on March 5 in Colombo.

The left-hander ripped his hamstring in the opening gameof the seven-match ODI series against England in Melbourne onJanuary 16 and only started jogging for the first time onThursday.

To speed up his recovery, Hussey avoided using crutchesafter his operation and pushed himself hard once he was giventhe all clear.

"It has been 19 days since the operation and I''m smoothlyjogging down the road to full recovery, ahead of schedule. Myrehabilitation has been going extremely well," he said.

"I started jogging last Thursday, which was ahead ofschedule. It''s been good to see such swift progress. I gotthrough the sessions without discomfort," he added.

Hussey is just one of a number of fitness concerns forAustralia ahead of the tournament in the sub-continent wherethey will be aiming for a fourth consecutive title.

Captain Ricky Ponting has just returned to training afterthe broken finger he suffered during the Ashes while NathanHauritz dislocated his shoulder during the second ODI atHobart.

Shaun Marsh, who replaced Hussey in the current one-daysquad, has suffered a hamstring strain while Xavier Dohertyhas a back problem and Steve Smith injured his hip at Sydney.

There is also concern over Brett Lee''s who only had alight training session at the WACA here yesterday, apparentlyon his elbow.

Please Wait while comments are loading...