Cairo, Feb.6 (ANI): Egyptian government officials have denied reports that newly named vice president Omar Suleiman had been the target of an assassination attempt last month.
A government statement said a stray bullet from an exchange of gunfire between "criminal elements" struck the lead car in Omar Suleiman's motorcade as it moved through an area where protests were being staged January 28, the day before Suleiman was appointed vice president.
The statement said Suleiman, Egypt's former intelligence chief, was not injured and there was no evidence he was intentionally targeted.
It referred to the shooting as a random incident.
Early on Saturday, according to the Los Angeles Times, reports were in circulation that an attempt on Suleiman's life had left two of his bodyguards dead. (ANI)