Probe ordered into violence at ITBP recruitment drive

New Delhi/Bareilly, Feb 3 (PTI) Government has ordered ahigh level probe into circumstances that led to violence andchaos at the recruitment drive in Bareilly by ITBP, whichadmitted it failed to estimate the massive turnout.

An aspirant was killed during clashes when the jobseekers went on a rampage in Bareilly on Tuesday while 20persons returning home from the recruitment drive died afterthey fell from the roof of two speeding trains.

Sources in New Delhi said today the inquiry will beconducted by Additional Director General of ITBP DilipTrivedi, who has reached Bareilly and is interacting withlocal police and administration officials to ascertain thesequence of events that led to chaos and mismanagement duringthe job rally.

The inquiry report will be submitted to the Ministry ofHome Affairs, they said.

Nearly 1.5 lakh aspirants gathered at the ITBP Kumaonheadquarters in Bareilly to deposit their application forms.

The situation went out of control when the aspirants afterfailing to get their forms deposited indulged in arson andbrick batting.

ITBP has cancelled all the registrations done on Tuesdayand fresh exercise will be undertaken.

ITBP Additional Director General Dilip Trivedi toldreporters in Bareilly that since recruitment for the post oftradesman was being done after a gap of three years,estimation of the number of aspirants, who will turn up forthe process, was "not right".

As of now no one can be held guilty, anything could besaid only after the inquiry is over, the ADG said.

Trivedi said that the agency will take suitable remediesand the recruitment process will be changed.

The process will be changed to ensure that suchincidents do not recur, he said.

ITBP DIG R S Negi said that all the registrations doneon Tuesday had been cancelled and fresh exercise will beundertaken.

The Uttar Pradesh government demanded appropriateaction against the officers responsible.

"A letter has been sent to the Centre requesting it tofix responsibility of the officers for mismanagement duringrecruitment drive and demanding action against guilty," agovernment spokesman said in Lucknow.

He alleged that the Shahjahanpur incident took placedue to lapse on the part of the ITBP officers and temporaryarrangements made by them.

"If the ITBP officers would have done right estimationand coordinated with Bareilly administration then such anunfortunate incident would not have had happened," he said.

The government has demanded the Centre to implementstandard operating procedure in recruitment drives by centralagencies, the spokesman said.

"The Centre has been requested to strictly direct thecentral agencies to maintain coordination with the districtadministration during recruitment drives," he said. NES AKVACB CORR AVA PG GSN

Please Wait while comments are loading...