New Delhi, Feb 2 (ANI): Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar reacting to former Telecom Minister A Raja's arrest on Wednesday said the truth has come out in open, and added that the demands of the Opposition for a Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) probe into the 2G spectrum allocation scam is correct.
"As you sow, so you reap. An action is taken as per the logical consequence," said Kumar.
Kumar further said that the demand from the Opposition for a JPC into the 2G scam is correct and they would not back out from it.
"Look the demand of JPC has three aspects. Suppose criminal investigation is one of the aspects. The second one is the report CAG (Comptroller and Auditor General) has submitted, on that basis the JPC probe under constitutional provision to be done," said Kumar.
"Beyond that there are several issues that relate to our democratic polity and regarding this no other institution can give solution to it. This corrective measure should be taken by Parliament itself. For that JPC is asked. This is for the benefit of everyone," he added.
Meanwhile, reacting on the arrest of Raja, former Union Minister Jaswant Singh said that he is saddened that a Union Minister has been arrested for such a heinous crime.
"I am very saddened because he has been a minister. This is for the first time in the Indian history that a Union Minister has been arrested by the CBI," he told reporters here.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) arrested Raja along with his close aides - RK Chandolia and Siddharth Behuria -- today in connection with the 2G spectrum allocation scam.
Chandolia was Raja's private secretary during the rule of the first United Progressive Alliance (UPA) Government. When the UPA returned to power in May 2009 and Raja returned as Telecom Minister, Chandolia was appointed economic advisor in his office.
Siddharth Behuria was the Telecom Secretary January 1, 2008 to September 30, 2009. He signed on the files that formalized the sale of 2G licenses.
The investigating agency questioned Raja for the fourth time today. He was questioned earlier on December 24 and 25 last year and on January 31.
The Supreme Court has asked the CBI and the Enforcement Directorate (ED) to submit status reports on their investigations into the 2G scam to it by February 10, when the case will come up for hearing.
Earlier this week, a report by a one-man commission, Justice Shivraj Patil, was handed over to new Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal. Justice Patil was asked in December to look into whether officials in the Telecom Ministry had, since 1991, violated government procedures and guidelines for allocating the spectrum.
The CBI in its first information report had mentioned the loss as Rs.22, 000 crore based on the findings of Central Vigilance Commission, which had referred the case to it.
Raja was forced to resign from Union Cabinet last year after a report of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) faulted him for undervaluing spectrum to favour companies who were largely ineligible for 2G spectrum, and added that the government had probably lost Rs.1.76 lakh crore in estimated revenue. (ANI)