6 killed, 19 injured in attacks on police in northwest Pak

Subscribe to Oneindia News

A Muhammad

Peshawar, Jan 31 (PTI) Six people, including a DeputySuperintendent of Police, were killed and 19 others injuredwhen two police vehicles were targeted by a suicide bomber anda roadside bomb in this northwestern Pakistani city today.

In the first attack, a suicide attacker struck DSPAbdur Rashid Khan''s vehicle at an intersection on the busyRing Road this morning.

The police officer, two bodyguards, a driver andanother person in a car parked at the site of the blast werekilled, officials said.

Officials at the Lady Reading Hospital said they hadreceived 15 injured people.

The condition of two of the injured was described asserious. The bomber was waiting at the intersection.

The DSP was on his way to office when the bomberstruck, police said.

DSP Khan had survived two attempts on his life in theGulbahar area of Peshawar last year.

A short while later, another police vehicle wastargeted with a roadside improvised explosive device atTajabad area along the Ring Road.

A constable was killed and four policemen were injuredby the powerful blast.

The bomb was triggered by remote control, officialssaid. The vehicle was on a routine patrol.

Security forces cordoned off the area and launched asearch for the attackers.

No group claimed responsibility for both attacks.

Additional Inspector General Shafqat Malik of the bombdisposal squad said police had found the head and body partsof the suicide bomber as well as the triggering mechanism ofthe suicide vest.

About seven kilograms of high explosives were used inthe suicide attack, he said.

Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Senior Minister Bashir Bilour, asenior leader of the Awami National Party that rules theprovince, said the government''s drive against militants willcontinue despite such attacks.

"We are ready to die, we are prepared to sacrifice ourlives to defend Pakistan," he told the media at the site ofthe suicide attack.

Bilour ruled out the possibility of holding talks withmilitants who did not lay down their arms.

Provincial Information Minister Mian Iftikharcondemned the attacks and described them as acts of cowardice.

Please Wait while comments are loading...