WASHINGTON, D.C.: The U.S. government on Sunday issued a travel warning for Egypt, urging Americans to leave the African nation 'as soon as they can safely do so'.
Egypt plunged into chaos on Friday when tens of thousands of people took to the streets in Cairo and other major cities to demand the resignation of President Hosni Mubarak. Some of them clashed with security forces, killing at least 150 people and injuring more than 4,000 others. Protests continued on Saturday and Sunday.
Since the escalation of unrest on Friday, the U.S. government had already issued a travel alert for Egypt, urging Americans to defer non-essential travel to Egypt. It was upgraded to a travel warning on Sunday, the most serious warning the U.S. can issue.
"The U.S. Department of State recommends that U.S. citizens avoid travel to Egypt due to ongoing political and social unrest," the Department said, adding that the U.S. government has authorized the voluntary departure of dependents and non-emergency employees.
The U.S. government further urged American citizens to obey the daily 4 p.m. to 8 a.m curfew in Cairo, Alexandria and Suez. "U.S. citizens currently in Egypt should consider leaving as soon as they can safely do so," the travel warning said.
(BNO NEWS )